What exactly is a food diary? A food diary or journal is a record of foods that are eaten on a meal-by-meal, daily, or weekly basis. The diary can include nutrition, carbohydrates, calories, fat content, sugars, or other dietary information to help organize and track foods by group, and so forth.
A food journal is a record that helps us maintain a daily log of what we eat, when we eat, what foods we eat, and the amount of calories we take in.
Some tips for successful journaling:
• Write down “everything” as soon as it is consumed
• Be as specific as possible, include amounts and serving sizes
• Include snacks, salad dressings, condiments, – “EVERYTHING”
• Include a brief description of mood and thoughts before eating
• Choose a journal format – notebook, a computer spreadsheet, or smartphone “app”
Keeping a food diary or journal can be very informative and may even help shed some unwanted pounds. In order to be successful with a food diary, the diary needs to tell the truth. Nothing is gained by cheating. Happy journaling!